MotionBox»Forums
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Helping video creators by showing the description
Shouldn't MotionBox have a clear display of the video's author along with the description, date, links... so that viewers would know where to support the creator ? In my opinion, removing ads isn't fine if you don't provide another way to support creators. Also does viewing a video with MotionBox adds view to the youtube/dailymotion... pages ?
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
hacker for the society of sharing.
Edited by Benjamin Arnaud on
mrmixer
Shouldn't MotionBox have a clear display of the video's author along with the description, date, links... so that viewers would know where to support the creator ?

The web browser is best suited for showing comprehensive text. You can already click on the "Webpage" contextual link on any track.

mrmixer
In my opinion, removing ads isn't fine if you don't provide another way to support creators. Also does viewing a video with MotionBox adds view to the youtube/dailymotion... pages ?

I agree, we have to find a way to provide support for creators. Maybe you have suggestions on how we could implement that ?

Views are tied to a GET request on a given web page. MotionBox does exactly that, except it won't bother about anything else but the video.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
What I meant was that to provide support to the creators, the minimum would be to display their names, and the description of the video (often contains links to patreon, tipeee...) directly in MotionBox, without needing to pause the video or activate a menu.
Descriptions also provide context or additional informations about the videos or the subjects discussed. If I need to leave the program to see them, it makes MotionBox less useful.
511 posts
mrmixer
What I meant was that to provide support to the creators, the minimum would be to display their names, and the description of the video (often contains links to patreon, tipeee...) directly in MotionBox, without needing to pause the video or activate a menu.
Descriptions also provide context or additional informations about the videos or the subjects discussed. If I need to leave the program to see them, it makes MotionBox less useful.

The description often also contains links to related videos and/or the playlist the video is part of (especially multipart content like lets plays)
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
hacker for the society of sharing.
Edited by Benjamin Arnaud on
mrmixer
What I meant was that to provide support to the creators, the minimum would be to display their names

MotionBox is already displaying the author / channel name at various places. Including on the track cover and the preview panel (when you hover a track thumbnail). That's also useful for browsing the playlist of a given track.

mrmixer

Yeah, but the whole point of video browsing is focusing on video content itself. If I'm interested in reading a cool paragraph I already have a web browser.

Compensating authors for their work is a different story. My view on that is having a like button that sends a few cents to the author. That brings a technical challenge of coming up with a system that could do that no matter where the video is hosted. That also raises a deeper questions about video makers being driven by advertisement or compensated for the real *value* they produce.