MotionBox»Forums
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
MotionBox is Awesome
Hi I just want to say I am an outrageously huge fan of this. MotionBox became a part of my daily life basically from the moment the installer finished and launched it. I can't put my finger on why but this is something really special. I used it to catch up on handmade hero, and I've been building a playlist of all my favorite youtube music. Also it's faster and less CPU intensive than any browser based video system which makes it a delight to use.

The only feature I have missed so far is when I browse for a video and watch it, it immediately plays the next video in the list. As far as I have been able to tell there's no way to set the behavior of what to do after reaching the end of the video. Often I will want it to stop there or repeat the same video.
43 posts / 1 project
MotionBox is Awesome
Gosh i need to get MotionBox everyone is saying it's awesome :D
Ethan Woodward
7 posts
None
MotionBox is Awesome
I was honestly shocked when I booted it up for the first time yesterday.

I had been dealing with chrome crashing every time I started it up since Windows 10 had this big update. Switching over to firefox was no great help, but at least it worked (sort of). Then I open up MotionBox and it boots instantaneously. It was actually jarring haha. No lag to load anything, it was just snap and everything was ready to go. I haven't spent that much time with it, but after about 20 minutes of messing around I was completely sold. Everything is really well thought and implemented.

My only minor complaints/suggestions are:

1) It doesn't seem to adhere to the window management scheme of windows 7/8/10. So if I try to snap it to one side it just ignores that. This is a minor issue as the way the window management works is already sufficient for my needs. Just a nice to have.

2) I can't see anyway to access relevant account information. Like for my youtube account it would be nice to pull in my subscriptions and be able to peruse their latest videos the same way I would on the site. If I had that, I feel confident I would never open youtube.com again on my Windows machine haha.

Anyway, I just wanted to pile on what Mr4thDimention said. Great work!
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MotionBox is Awesome

2) I can't see anyway to access relevant account information. Like for my youtube account it would be nice to pull in my subscriptions and be able to peruse their latest videos the same way I would on the site. If I had that, I feel confident I would never open youtube.com again on my Windows machine haha.

I've thought about this feature as well. However, even more useful (if it's not already in MotionBox) would be to define "subscriptions" separate from your account. Removing the need to even have an account on YouTube would be huge for me.
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
hacker for the society of sharing.
MotionBox is Awesome
Edited by Benjamin Arnaud on
Thank you Allen,

Honestly I already thought that the HMN was very welcoming and then came your message...
Many iterations went into MotionBox and the fact that you actually "get it" and *use it* means the world to me.

There is something to be said for having a vision and staying faithful to it. That's the hardest and most important part.

Also thank you so much for supporting me on Patreon. The very first supporters are the most important and I certainly want to deliver on their expectations. This project is still young but I'm confident we can turn MotionBox into something *super awesome*.

Mr4thDimention
The only feature I have missed so far is when I browse for a video and watch it, it immediately plays the next video in the list. As far as I have been able to tell there's no way to set the behavior of what to do after reaching the end of the video. Often I will want it to stop there or repeat the same video.

That's actually a funny one, back then Youtube was not supporting "continuous" playback and I felt very proud about MotionBox doing it.
Now people want the old behavior back and I recognize it can be useful. I'm not sure how to implement it yet, maybe an "automatic playback" checkbox.

You can repeat the same track by clicking on the corner right settings buttons and two times on the second playback button.
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
MotionBox is Awesome
strangezak
Gosh i need to get MotionBox everyone is saying it's awesome :D

Just go get it: http://omega.gg/MotionBox/get.

:-D.
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
MotionBox is Awesome
Takadimi
I was honestly shocked when I booted it up for the first time yesterday. I had been dealing with chrome crashing every time I started it up since Windows 10 had this big update. Switching over to firefox was no great help, but at least it worked (sort of). Then I open up MotionBox and it boots instantaneously. It was actually jarring haha. No lag to load anything, it was just snap and everything was ready to go.

Thanks for that feedback. I should really use that kind of story on the project page. I'm sure a bunch of people would want to try it :D.

A lot of work went into making MotionBox start and run fast. Not for the sake of being fast but because performance brings new possibilities. Every time I add something I make sure that it does not hurt the application as a whole. That's one of the big advantage when building something handmade with a clear vision of what goes into it.

1) That's something I would like to add. I thought the Qt framework would handle it for me. That's not the case on 4.8. If someone wants to help on that part I'm interested in contributions.

CaptainKraft
I've thought about this feature as well. However, even more useful (if it's not already in MotionBox) would be to define "subscriptions" separate from your account. Removing the need to even have an account on YouTube would be huge for me.

2) At the end of the day a Youtube "subscription" is just a bookmark. So the question is "how can I export my subscriptions and persist them". There is currently a hack to import Youtube subscription feeds in MotionBox. To persist the information I have to implement an FTP or a Dropbox synchronization. I wish subscription export could be made easier but I don't want to mess with the Youtube API because it brings oh so many restrictions. I'd much rather access the public informations they are sharing on their public webpages.
Connor
52 posts
It's been so long ;)
MotionBox is Awesome
Time to try MotionBox, I guess! :D. So many nice comments about it.

- Connor
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
MotionBox is Awesome
Mr4thDimention

The latest revision of MotionBox (1.2.0-5) now implements three repeat options:
"Repeat playlist", "Repeat track" and "Repeat stop" (Settings panel under "Playback").

"Repeat stop" will stop playback at the end of the current video.
Allen Webster
476 posts / 6 projects
Heyo
MotionBox is Awesome
bunjee
The latest revision of MotionBox (1.2.0-5) now implements three repeat options:
"Repeat playlist", "Repeat track" and "Repeat stop" (Settings panel under "Playback").

"Repeat stop" will stop playback at the end of the current video.

Awesome! Thanks so much for working on it.