MotionBox»Forums
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
hacker for the society of sharing.
MotionBox is now part of the Handmade network
Edited by Benjamin Arnaud on
Greetings HMN,

I'm super happy to be part of the handmade community.

I've been coding MotionBox with love for the past few years.

- On the technical side, it's an innovative tool built to access and traverse videos on the Internet.
- On the ethical side, it's Free Software dedicated to access video resources the way you want.

Read more about it here: http://omega.gg/MotionBox.

Feel free to ask me anything here or omega.gg.

Many thanks to Abner, Jeroen and the HMN team for their support.
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
I heard about your project yesterday and was immediately interested. You're working on something that I never thought about, but now that I know it exists, I need it :-)

I'm eagerly awaiting a Linux port. Keep up the good work. MotionBox looks fantastic.
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
@Captain: Thank you for letting me know that you care about the project.
I've been working on it for quite some time and I *really* appreciate that kind of support :-D.

At the moment I'm focused on communication and implementing the torrent streaming.
Because hey, I thought it would be useful for a *video* browser to actually stream torrents.

The Linux version is quite high on my TODO list.
First because I love the platform, second because it fits my ethical views about software.

Since I'm mainly using Qt I believe MotionBox could be ported to Linux in a few days.
Would *you* - or anyone in the handmade community - be interested in contributing on that part ?
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
@Quarter: Happy to hear that !

I guess the starting point would be compiling SkCore: http://github.com/omega-gg/Sky.
I'm interested in making it build on ubuntu first. Since it's the most "common" distro.

If anyone is also interested in helping with the linux or OS-X port, let me know here or on [email protected].

PS: Your knowledge in video codecs could also be useful for other aspects of the project.
Murry Lancashire
25 posts
Aspiring Polymath.
Edited by Murry Lancashire on
This is very very cool!

What is the hope of streaming from sites you have a subscription to, like crunchy roll, netflix or curiosity stream (the latters video player is so bad i cancelled my sub)?

My friend also had the suggestion of a sync with a friend feature, so that you can watch a video at the same time with a friend online.
Benjamin Arnaud
74 posts / 1 project
Thank you Muzz ♥ !

Muzz
What is the hope of streaming from sites you have a subscription to, like crunchy roll, netflix or curiosity stream (the latters video player is so bad i cancelled my sub)?

The problem with private subscription is that it breaks video browsing at a functional level. That being said, when the API is ready people might add Netflix or dropbox because that's "convenient". In the long run if people embrace the Motion Freedom vision attached to the project I suspect these use cases could become marginal.

Muzz
My friend also had the suggestion of a sync with a friend feature, so that you can watch a video at the same time with a friend online.

You can tell your friend I thought about watching videos in sync. I have no immediate plan for it though :-). The closest thing you can do is having a public file on the web with a bunch of video links and access it from MotionBox.
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
Muzz

I need this in my life.